Note: Submissions will re-open on June 1, 2021.
- Kahini Weekly considers original, unpublished artistic work.
- Work that has appeared online in any public form or venue, or appeared in a publically distributed physical form, is considered previously published.
- Verbally delivered work, if presented on any online platform, is considered to be previously published.
- Work that has been presented verbally only, but not hosted on any
online platform (including spoken-word or open-mike performances) is considered unpublished, and will be considered for publication here.
- Submissions are open year-round.
- We publish all genres: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and cross-genre or un-genre work. We also accept video or audio submissions of spoken-word performances, if these recordings are not already available on an existing platform.
- We have no word-count guidelines: we have published a poem of sixteen words, and regularly consider novella-length work of up to 40,000 words or more.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your work attached in whatever form you choose. If we can’t open the attachment, we’ll let you know.
- In the “Subject” line, please simply write, “Submission.”
- In the email itself, please include a short bio/cover letter.
- Please make sure your name and email address also appear on the attached document itself.
- If you send multiple pieces, please include them all in one single document attached to a single email. Most writers have around four to five works under consideration with us at any given time.
- Please feel free to send work under consideration
elsewhere (colloquially known as simultaneous submissions).
- We value your time: we read all submissions within twenty-eight days, and will contact you within that time frame if we’re interested in your material. We regret that, due to the volume of submissions we receive, we will not be in contact with you unless we’re interested in moving forward with your particular piece.
- We do not send rejection letters: if you do not hear from us within twenty-eight days of a particular submission, Kahini Weekly is not moving forward with that particular work of art.
- Please only send us work if you’re writing in your truest artistic voice. We seek work that thrives through an alchemy of sensory detail; setting; character and point of view; plot, structure, and pacing; voice(s), style, and tone; visual presentation; title; authorial identity; and thematic elements. We seek work that ignites from these elements but that also transcends them–defining and creating the condition of art in your own unique way.
- If you have questions about what we mean by the above, please consider browsing these notes.
- As a weekly, we currently offer $100 usd per accepted work of literary art.